Black Horse

While Cheadle may not seem a likely place for a miracle; in 1860 the religious newsletter ‘The Tablet’ reported as such. Three men were staying in the town at the Black Horse Inn, upon returning from attending a forenoon service at the catholic church one of them proceeded make a mock alter and make fun of the service. To his friends horror he was suddenly struck blind, a doctor was called immediately however the doctor told the man it was a judgement from the Almighty God and nothing could be done.

In at least one trade directory the pub was referred to as the Dark Horse rather than the usual Black.

In 1894 when landlord John Prince was found guilty of allowing drunkenness on the premises (a local vet consumed four whiskeys at breakfast) he was fined £5 and costs.

Cheadle’s Voluntary Fire Brigade won the Silver Helmet award in 1895 at a demonstration, a victory dinner was held at this pub.

This pub in the first part of the 20th century gained a rather dubious reputation (along with the Alton Castle) for been a venue to arrange bare knuckle fights in, long term Cheadle residents have told me there used to be fights in at the top of Queen Street between people from these pubs on a regular basis.

By 1931 the pub was owned by the brewery Joules Ltd.

While the pub’s stables had been demolished in the early 1900s other buildings linked to the pub still remained, in 1961 these were demolished to make way for road improvements. It was also believed that the brewery who owned the pub at the time had a major reconstruction project in the planning stages.

The building has had a Grade II listing since 1986.

At one time this pub was one of the busiest in the town, circa 1999 the pub closed and the building was converted into an office.

Over the road from the building is a small area of land used as car park when the office is in use, this was the location of the inn’s stables which were demolished in 1912.

Past Proprietors:

Joseph Robinson (The Universal British Directory 1791)
Joseph Ratcliffe (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818)
J. Vaughn (Pigot’s Directory 1822)
Edward Tipper (Pigot’s Directory 1828)
William Tipper (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
Samuel Alcock (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834)
Francis Salt [until April 1855] (1841 Census, Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842, Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849, Slater’s Directory 1850, White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851 and Staffordshire Advertiser 1855)
Mary Tipper (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860 and Leek Times 1874)
Thomas Whilletts (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880)
George Shurmer (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1884) [until June 1887]
Edward Harper [from June 1887 until April 1889] (1887 and 1889 Cheadle Herald)
John Prince [from April 1890] (1890, 1891 and 1894 Cheadle Herald)
Alfred Dunkley (1895 Cheadle Herald)
John S. G. Land (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
Gertrude Bailey (1901 Census)
Hannah Tipper (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1904, c.1910 Information and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1912)
Charles Pattinson (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1924 and 1928)
William Hatton (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1932 and 1940)
William Everill (Cheadle Post and Times 1959) [until Sept 1959]
Kenneth Thorley [from Sept 1959] (Cheadle Post and Times 1959, 1961)
J. Walton (Cheadle Post and Times 1961)

Image Gallery:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *