Census records indicate that the pub may have been built as a private residence called Yew Tree Cottage, the 1861 census shows James Morton a retired Ropemaker living in this property which was in the same area.
The rope business was eventually taken over by the Allen family, who were early proprietors of the Traveller’s Rest. In 1861 the Allen’s are on Chapel Street, so presumably this is before they took on the ropewalk, by the 1871 census they are listed at the Traveller’s Rest as ropemakers.
Rope, coal sacks and tents were made at the ropewalk, the tents were rented out from here. Local legend has it that rope made here was used on board the Titanic, while the story has been passed around for a long time, no evidence of this claim is forthcoming!
The ropewalk building ran the length of what became the pub car park next to the road, while once a common sight across the country, surviving examples of the industry are now very rare.
In 1878 the pub was granted a Wine seller license.
There is enough land to the site for a football pitch, which in 1925 acted as the grounds for the New Haden Colliery team, Albert John “Bert” Whitehurst who played on the team would later play for Stoke City.
A full license was granted for the pub in January 1962 replacing it’s previous “beer on” license.
In February 1966 a meal was held for 36 of the pubs senior regulars, the meal was paid for with money raised by younger regulars throughout the previous year.
In early 1968 there was a circus on the pub’s land, it generated a number of complaints.
In February 1981 plans for an extension were submitted; enabling the creation of a lounge and dining area.
In 2005 the pub became the property of Punch Taverns.
Because of the connection to the ropewalk the pub was affectionately known by locals as “the ropey” until it shut in 2009. The building and land was then sold for development and in early May 2011 the pub building was reduced to a pile of rubble in readiness for the new affordable housing now on the site.
William Allen (1868 and 1872 Post Office Directories)
Mrs [?] Allen (Staffordshire Sentinel 1876)
Edward Thomas Allen (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
William Allen (1901 census)
William Johnson (c.1910 Information)
William Frances Collins (1911 Census, Staffordshire Sentinel 1912)
Ernest Mear (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1940)
G. Carr (1968 and 1969 Cheadle Post and Times)
Mr and Mrs Deville (Information from Facebook post)
Nigel Hewitt [from Nov 1974] (Cheadle Post and Times 1978 and 1982)
Julie Christine Bithell (SMDC website 2005)
Susan Emery (SMDC website April 2007)
Daniel James Faulkner (SMDC website August 2008 and 2009)