The original pub building at some time expanded into two terraced houses next to it to create a lounge room, which still has a coal fire.
The 1851 census lists George Salt as an innkeeper on New Street and likely refers to this pub, he is also listed as a Shoemaker.
In John Alcock’s 1888 Diary there is reference to him helping with Titterton’s accounts at the Bird in Hand. I don’t believe this is the same person who is the publican in the 1871 census however it is likely they were related.
It’s not clear why, but the license for this pub on 13th July 1923 was transferred as part of Cheadle’s Petty Court Sessions, from Elijah Hurst to James W. W. Plant.
A full license was awarded to this pub in 1961 enabling it to sell beer, wine and spirits, a petition containing 207 names was presented to the bench prior to the license been granted.
In 1973 the first annual dinner/dance event was organised by Mr and Mrs Lakin for pub regulars, over 100 guests attended.
A dinner dance was held by the Bird’s Social Club at the Guild Hall in 1976, entertainment was provided by the ‘Deep Purple Five’ for the 163 guests. That same night landlady Daisy Lakin awarded the Cheadle Skittles League Championship trophy to their team’s skipper Ronnie Allen.
By 1980 the pubs annual dinner dances were so popular they had become bi-yearly events and according to the local press become known as “the best do in Cheadle”.
George Salt (1851 Census)
John Alcock (1871 and 1881 Censuses)
Loton Titterton (1885 Cheadle Herald and John Alcock’s 1888 Diary) [until March 1889]
Hannah Burton (from March 1889] (1889 Cheadle Herald)
William James (1898 Cheadle Herald, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900 and 1901 Census)
Elijah Hurst [until July 13th 1923] (c.1910 Information, Cheadle Herald 1923)
James William Winkup Plant [from July 13th 1923] (Cheadle Herald 1923, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1928 and 1932)
Ernest William Fairbanks (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1940)
Wilf and Marjorie Boulton [late 1960s]
Harry and Daisy Lakin [from 1972 until 1982] (Cheadle Post and Times 1982)