The Portobello is listed in trade directories (from at least 1818 onwards) closed in 1922 and was at the end of town next to the Blacksmiths at the bottom of Park Lane, the building is now called Portobello House.
In 1839 the Cheadle branch of the Oddfellow society was formed in this pub.
Before they moved in 1925, the Cheadle Saint Giles Scout Group had their headquarters behind the building.
It was A. J. Alcock Printers shop sometime after it was a pub and for many years the printer’s painted advertisement could still be seen clearly on the side of the wall, it’s now very faded but just about visible.
In the St. Giles (Parish Church) Pew Allocation documents of 1845 Sir John Buller Yarde-Buller is listed in association with the inn (also the Royal Oak).
T. Keates (Unknown years – Staffordshire Advertiser 1823)
William Wood (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818, Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29, White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834, 1841 Census, Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842 and Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849)
George Heath (Staffordshire Advertiser 1850 and White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851)
Francis Salt [from April 1855] (Staffordshire Advertiser 1855)
J. Jones (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860)
George James (Directory and Gazetteer of Staffordshire with Dudley, Harrison & Harrod 1861)
Thomas Massey (Staffordshire Sentinel 1867 and 1868 Post Office Directory)
Frederick Brassington (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1872)
George Brassington (Leek Times 1874)
George James (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880 and 1884) [until August 1885]
Henry Coombes [from 28th August 1885 – 22nd October 1886] (Cheadle Herald)
Eli Mellor [from 22nd October 1886] (Cheadle Herald, 1891 Census, Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1896 and 1900, 1901 Census)
Elizabeth Mellor (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1904 and 1912)
William Henry Bostock (Cheadle Herald 1922)
Louise Whitehurst [last licensee in 1922] (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)