The Cross Keys was open between 1793 and 1922, when the pub closed the building was converted into a shop and is currently Fantis’ Friendly Fryer.
In July 1831 Richard Beech left this pub to run the Wheatsheaf, he ran an announcement in the ‘Staffordshire Advertiser’ to mark the event and advertised the Cross Keys to let at the same time.
A Candle house ran by a Mr. Lloyd operated from the Cross Keys Yard and was offered for sale in 1839 upon his retirement.
In March 1889 the pub was sold to the Burton Brewery Company Co. for £950, the pub had been previously up for auction but was withdrawn while bidding was at £900.
In 1920 when it’s license failed to be renewed the owners were granted £700 in compensation.
Thomas Robinson (The Universal British Directory 1791)
John Belcher (Parson and Bradshaw – Staffordshire Directory 1818)
G. Fielding (Pigot’s Directory 1822)
William Beech (Pigot & Co.’s National Directory 1828-29)
Richard Beech (Staffordshire Advertiser 1831) [until July 1831]
John Fallows (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1834 and Pigot’s Directory of Staffordshire 1842)
John Tipper (Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire & Worcestershire 1849 and Slater’s Directory 1850)
Thomas Plant (White’s Directory of Staffordshire 1851, Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1860 and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1884)
Hannah Plant (Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Staffordshire 1872 and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1880)
Ann Plant [from 3rd Sept 1887 until Oct 1890] (1887 and 1890 Cheadle Herald)
John Mellor [from Oct 1890 until Sept 1892] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1892)
Frederick Taylor [from Sept 1892] (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900 and 1904)
Charles Pattinson (c.1910 Information and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1912)
Fred Taylor [last licensee in 1922] (Cheadle Public Houses of Yesteryear)