The pub opened in 1860 on Queen’s Street which was built to provide housing for local textile mill workers. A number of breweries and companies have owned the pub over the years these include, Joule and Son, Bass, Avebury Taverns and Punch Taverns. While the pub has obviously had a number of refurbishments over the past 150 years it still retains it’s traditional atmosphere.
Landlord William Harding (see below) was an avid Pigeon enthusiast, so from 1907 the Queen’s Arms acted as the headquarters for The Queen Street Homing Society, in 1912 joined with another group to form The Cheadle District and Queen Street Homing Society.
A full license was awarded to this pub in 1961 enabling it to sell beer, wine and spirits, a petition containing 85 names was presented to the bench prior to the license been granted.
In a scheme to raise money for local amenities Cheadle Town Council set up a lottery scheme in 1980, the first winner was awarded his cheque for £1000 in the Queens.
In June 2009 the pub was struck by lightning, which would have resulted in the pub having to be completely re-wired; if the wiring hadn’t already been refurbished earlier that year.
The Potteries branch of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) voted The Queen’s Arms pub of the month in the Autumn 2010 issue of their newsletter ‘Potters Bar’.
? Weston (1885 Cheadle Herald)
Frederick William Pope (1885 Cheadle Herald) [until March 1886]
John Poltney [from March 26th 1886] (Cheadle Herald and John Alcock’s 1888 Diary)
Miss [?] Robinson (John Alcock’s 1888 Diary)
Sarah Ann Briddon (1890 Cheadle Herald) [until April 1890]
Elisha Coates [from April 1890] (1890 Cheadle Herald)
Henry Robinson (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1900)
William James Harding (c.1910 Information and Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1921)
William Spooner (Kelly’s Directory of Staffordshire 1932)
John Leslie Weston (Cheadle Post and Times 1961)
Eileen and George Johnson (Cheadle Post and Times 1975 and 1980)