Open during the early 19th century, this beer-house was in the building now numbered 11 on Lid Lane.
Interestingly the Bull’s Head on Chapel Street; had also gone by this name at one time. It could be a tenant of that building, decided to take the name when he left.
In 1830 an advertisement was placed in the Staffordshire Advertiser for an auction to be held at the establishment on Jan 1st 1831. On sale were a series houses along the principal street in the town, William Waugh is listed as the Fighting Cocks’ proprietor.
William Waugh (Staffordshire Advertiser 1830)